March Madness: Running & Working Balance

Good Last Day of March Morning To Everyone!!!!

Just like this year thus far, March has flown right on by. March was a bit of a busy month for me. It started off pretty rough with a really bad sickness and sinus infection which just seemed to rock my world. The pollen content in Florida has just been off the chain lately and the worse year I have ever encountered with this.

I used to say I never had any sinus or allergies or anything to that nature, but getting older and dang I have been hit every year. I mean I turned 30 and it has been non stop. Still today, I am suffering with a sinus headache and pressure, but really trying to just push it on by. It is the headache portion that is really getting me bad.

March also brought a whole lot of happiness for me as I got to spend a great week home in New York. I miss my family terribly and wish I was with them so much, but my life down here in Florida is way better than anything it could be back home in New York, plus it just makes my visits that much more special. And it gives them and excuse to come and visit me more often.

March at work was a bit crazy. We had a floor set the day I got back from vacation but work actually  has been pretty great. I am FINALLY feeling like it is home to me and getting my rythm, taking over a store is a pretty hard thing to do. I took it over right before Christmas, so I was completely out of wack and now that we are far from Christmas, organzing and getting it all together has taken a bit, but we are finally getting there.

I read a BUNCH this month too. I read 7 books and trying to finish up my 8th one today because I want to end on an even number haha. I have a thing with even numbers. I will do a big currently post this weekend on my book choices, there have been some really good ones.

The one thing about March that has really improved was my running. The beginning of the month started off rough because of being sick but then on vacation I really kicked it into high gear, then I came back from vacation and only ran once last week BUT I did get to the gym twice.

And this week, I ran on Tuesday morning before work for 2.00 miles and then yesterday I ran before work 10.00 miles.

Let's chat about this for a minute...

Ever since I changed my stores with my work, I have been struggling to find a balance with working out and running, that is really nothing new. My job is honestly not your typical retail job. I work 8 and honestly sometimes more a shift, I don't get a break, we work a lot of single coverage and I am working my store all day long, on my feet. It can be seriously tiring. I commute 30 minutes each way, with my new car it is a dream because I have AC and the car drives amazing, but that 30 minutes really zones me out.

It is the first time I am usually sitting all day and I am beat. I just want to get home and get in my sweats, read a book, watch TV, Blog ( which I know I have been neglecting a lot lately), or honestly I just want to sit down and maybe just close my eyes for a bit. Then I have to make dinner or maybe I just want to go shopping after work or have a date night with James on a whim. But knowing I hadn't got my run in or the gym puts a lot of pressure on me.

Because when I get home at 6:30 or later, it really makes it hard. Now that it is much lighter out, it does add that bonus but I am really tired.

So I had to slap myself in the face a bit and say, you gotta make a change because making excuses about my full time job, just doesn't cut it. I know I am better than that and I can do much better than what I have been doing.

I am going to have to do it in the morning. If I want to enjoy my days off and enjoy my evenings, then I need to do it in the morning. Yes I like my sleep but I always want to have some free time, and to reward myself, on my days off I will sleep in, the other times, I will get up early.

So for two times this week, on Tuesday and Wednesday I set my alarm for 5:00 and got up and got my runs in. THIS IS HUGE FOR ME.

Tuesday I had to be to work at 7:45, so I got up at 5 and went for a two mile run. AND I felt amazing. I was defintely a bit tired but through out the day I was energized and was so happy that I could just come home and truly unwind after my work day. I had energy and pep and honestly it wasn't that bad. So I thought, why don't I do my long run of 10 miles on Wednesday rather than my day off, so I could sleep in and treat myself on my day off.

Now a long run of 10 miles and then working, is a lot for me because my body is tired and usually I  nap later in the day. Yesterday I woke up with a sinus headache, some aches and pains BUT I didn't make an excuse, I really wanted to prove to myself I could do this and it really will be okay.

I actually got up at 430 and was running by 530 and finished my 10 miles before 8. I felt great and even more I felt accomplished and proud. I used some SPARK from Advocare for my run and fueled with coffee right after. I had some time before I had to go to the store after the run and ate breakfast and watched a show and then I was on to work.

Yes around 2:30 I was getting a bit tired. I think I was craving some serious protein lacking and got a coffee and had a protein bar and I started to feel even better. Once my work day was over, I came home and was able to take a quick cat nap and then James and I went to Trivia night.

The pressure I typically felt was taken off of me. I honestly felt a bit more relaxed. And did I mention pretty darn proud. You know what, I was able to sleep in today on my day off and that was the best thing.

So for now on, I am going to do my work outs in the morning before work, setting the time between 5 and 6, depending on when I have to go to work, even on the days I close at 1:30, then on my days off I can sleep in or even better, use those days as a true rest day! That will be my full reward.

April will be my test month for this. Also I will be blogging this experience too to keep me accountable and dedicated my whole planner for the month of April to it.

This small change, I know will have a BIG impact on my life.

I want to prove that I can have a crazy work schedule and really work on my running and fitness for 4-5 days out of the week!!

Join along with me!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low Point Apple Crisp

Let's Go To The Movies....And EAT at Cobb Theaters Tyrone

Perspective: My Trauma, Fear and Rejection