HABITS are a POWERFUL thing

Well hello there!

We are approaching another week in Quarantine and dare I say it, it has become quite the routine and every day. I think there becomes apart of you and your brain where you just realize and probably accept this is it and how it is going to be and live with it. While I adjusted to this lifestyle a bit ago with this closure, I think now it has finally settled back in, but I would be lying if I didn't think when this is all over, how different and scary the world will be again and what will my life look like.

Okay, I know that seems dramatic but it ties into the Habits Lesson of Week #3 of the Next 90 Challenge over with the Hollis Co.

This week is all about Habits. I have to say I have created some great Habits I instill into my daily lifestyle over the last few years. Habits or creating a Habit is something I really enjoy doing. I am a girl after structure and routine and lists and getting fulfillment from that. It is just how I am personally wired.

When I first started on my Weight Loss Journey, a habit I had to create was Tracking my food. I knew  through the Power of Weight Watchers, IF I was going to lose weight, THEN I was going to have to track my food. Tracking every thing I ate. Dave Hollis, talks about these IF/Then statements, If I do this, Then I do this.

I live my life by that If/then statements a lot when it comes to my lifestyle of eating better and exercise. Tracking my food has been a proven success in my journey. I know what food I am eating, how much or how little and it holds me accountable.

Right now in this scenioro, If I want to lose 50 pounds Then I need to track my food, then I need to exercise more, then I need to schedule my OTF classes 1 more day a week, then I need to stay with the classes and not cancel.

When we started this Quarantine I was very nervous about some of my Habits that I have created weren't going to stay around much because of Boredom. The Habit of exercise was the one I was most concerned about. I had gotten into a great Habit of working out Sunday's, Wednesday and Thursday religiously with OTF and sometimes even throwing in an extra day. By doing that I was seeing some great results.

Then this happened and they had to close. BUT since I had instilled this Habit in me, I just had to shift it a little more, so my Habit now is doing the At Home workouts with OTF, M-W-F. I have also created another Habit, thankfully to the 5 for Thrive, of moving my body every day for at least 30 minutes. I have been walking more and running more and doing yoga more than I have ever done in my life. Seriously, as of today from April 1-today I have ran and walked 40.2 miles. and we aren't even half way through the month.

Here is the thing I want to stick, the Habit of this exercise and movement. When life resumes itself again, I want to be ready and stronger then before, but I don't want to lose all this great progress I have made. Maybe James and I's evening walks for 30 minutes won't be the same again because of our schedules, but we can create a habit on the day we are off together to keep this up. It will become more second nature to each other again.

Dave also talks about Habits we wanted to take away from this season of life. Some I found important to carry on into my daily life and next season was doing things I can control, like making my bed every day, simple right, but gosh darnit, it does make a huge difference for me. Seeking and finding Joy, giving Grace to myself and others, Drinking the stupid water, making more time to have healthy and delicious meals.

That is another one. James and I would sit down to eat together maybe 4 nights a week, not too bad, but most of those times were eating out or carry out, because I was too tired to cook or time or just the nature of convince. This has taught me that cooking really doesn't take a whole lot of time and it doesn't have to be hard or crazy, I can do it. I cook 6 nights out of our week, once a week we order from somewhere else, a local restuarant and it is lovely. This is a habit I enjoy a lot. because it brings us closer together and I enjoy the praise James gives me when he says he enjoys a meal.

Now all habits I have created are great Habits. One Habit I believe I need to tweak a bit is the getting dressed Habit. I have been resulting to just leggings, workout clothes and my PJ's every day. I have not worn Jeans since March 16th, no LIE. I just don't have the desire, it is hot, and I am not going anywhere so what is the point. Well the point is it makes me feel better. One habit I tweaked early on was wearing a bra during the day and it changed my whole perspective.

Crazy I know. But I was in my home, I was comfy, why do I need a bra. BUT after a week or so, that got old real quick and it just made me seem frumpy. So I started even in my sweats and leggings, putting the bra on and it made stand a little taller and more importantly feel better. So a habit I want to tweak, is one day I week, I will actually get ready fully and put some jeans and shirt on and maybe, just maybe put some makeup on.

A habit I need to not just tweak but get rid of is, is the habit of being on my phone constantly, especially at night. I look at my phone while we are watching movies, shows and talking. I am taking it to the whole evening and I am truly missing out. So I am setting a limit for myself, 9:30 every night, I am putting the phone away and being engaged in the evening before bed, which we usually end up falling asleep around 11. Once I create this habit and then I can instill another time frame, earlier and so forth.

Dave spoke around the power of habits and how a habit was and is created and how we are triggered by a habit, being consistent with my habits is what makes me successful. I don't  and want to give up, because it is not an option for me.

The topic this week was way different than I thought it would be. I will not lie, a bit of it was confusing to me, because habits were something I thought I had a pretty solid grasp on and I thought I had a couple of habits I had mastered but in actuality, every single thing we do is a habit. How we go about our lives is one big habit and new habits surface and old ones come back often.

A habit I took a year last year to really master, slowly started to make its way back into my life and that was the habit of snacking and eating Bites, Licks and Tastes from my journey. In WW, terms we call those BLT's. I was having small extra bites of dinner, licks of things I was making or small tastes of things James was eating. Those little extra things, really add up, and I know my process would go better, if I stop that. I had worked so hard on nailing that down, but with this down time and being around, I have resurfaced that habit.

NOT ANYMORE. It stops today. Now more BLT's, I have to retrain my mind and body and it is crazy how one silly little slip up and alter a lot of hard work.

He also spoke to habits you have instilled and adding more habits on top of it. I tried some this morning..I made a routine schedule of my day, I usually just plan a little, but I stacked more on to it, so using my hour early wake up, to read 1 hour of my Personal Development book.

I have used my daily OTF workouts at 4, and stacking on running before between 2 and 3, to add more to that exercise portion.

As I conclude this habits, creating new habits is hard, getting rid of bad habits is hard, everything is hard, BUT CHOOSE YOUR HARD.

How do you want to reflect and show up for yourself when this is all said and done, do you want to have bad habits instilled to carry into the rest of the year, or do you want to use this time to really start some Habits to make you successful through out and make this time worth it, just a little bit more....???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low Point Apple Crisp

Perspective: My Trauma, Fear and Rejection

Let's Go To The Movies....And EAT at Cobb Theaters Tyrone