Chili Cornbread Bake

It is no secret I LOVE comfort food. And comfort food varies from person to person. Chili and corn bread to me are comfort food. The fun thing is growing up, it wasn't a food we ate. My family never made it, I adapted to it over the years. James LOVES chili and cornbread. So the other night I was trying to figure out something to make for us. I remembered a Hungry Girl recipe that involved chili in the crock pot and then putting cornbread on top to make like a bake. 

While I didn't have time to make the chili in the crock pot so I decided to make it like a bake. It was so simple and easy. And it was so delicious.

Okay so here are the deets, but you can make it however you like. I did follow anything I just kind of winged yet, heck that's when it comes out best.

First I browned 1 pound of Lean Ground Beef ( I made this another time too and use Extra Lean Ground Turkey)

Then when it was brown, I added a can of Chili Beans, Corn and Diced Tomatoes, No Salt Added to the pan and let it simmer for a bit

Then added it to my baking pan. I used and 8x8 pain, that way the slices were nice and thick.



In a sepereate bowl, I made the cornbread mixture. I didn't do anything fancy, I just used a typical cornbread mix. One that was in a bag from Betty Crocker, I got at Big Lots for .33 cents lol. I just followed the directions as per the package. The took the Mixture and poured it over the chili.



My oven was preheated to 425, just follow the directions of the cornbread. The meat is already cooked so you are just cooking the bread. It was 15 minutes or until a nice golden brown.


I let it cool for a little bit and soak up some of the liquid. Then cut into 8 pieces and it came out to 6pp per slice. Paired it with a salad.



Enjoy!!! This is true crowd lover!!!




Comments

  1. Oh man, that looks so good! I didn't become a chili and cornbread lover until I met my husband, but now it's one of my favorite combos. I'll have to try it like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea. I love chili AND cornbread. Only problem is, I'd be the only one eating this in my house!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Low Point Apple Crisp

Let's Go To The Movies....And EAT at Cobb Theaters Tyrone

Perspective: My Trauma, Fear and Rejection