What We're Reading (August)



Okay everyone this is pretty exciting stuff. Nanci,  the brains behind This Crazy Life of Mine, and I have teamed up to do a monthly book club/post, where we will discuss what books we have been reading. It could be one, two, three, or how many we dive into.

Nanci and I both LOVE to read. And I remember the first time her and I ran together, which also was our first time ever meeting each other we talked about how much we loved to read and discussed some of our favorite authors, books and why reading means the world to us and how it is our own little escape at times. Seriously, we are connected in more ways than one. So when Nanci brought up this brilliant idea, I, of course was on board. And plus I love sharing some really awesome reads I have going on.

This year I also made a promise or goal, whatever you may say to read more and this is right up there with this.

Okay, so enough of me babbling, lets get down to it with a pretty fantastic book I just finished.

So a little back history to why I choose this book. As you all know I have recently turned 30, I have full time job, I run and I live a pretty simple life. But I know deep down in my soul, I can always do better. Now don't get me wrong I am not in a rut or anything like that, but I love setting goals and I love going after something. I know there is no end to what I can do and I know I am pretty amazing, but I really have to start believing it.

I am have never been on to read self help books because I always felt if you were reading a book like that, you had hit rock bottom. Weird I know, it makes no sense at all, but that's how I viewed that genre. Then I saw on a bunch of Instagram and friends pages I follow and like, this book...



All of them were saying what a great book it was and how funny and real and I figured what the heck. I could use a little guidance and a little motivation. I guess picking it up for me made me feel more like an adult, again weird I know.

So then I sat down with the book and read it and I was blown away. I got it from the library, to see if I would like it and then I would buy it to keep, you know test the waters. Well I am buying this book.

This book is pretty fantastic. And it works. It is a guide book for your soul I felt like. The chapters and the advice that Jen gives really makes you stop and think and take notes, and turn back and it resignates something inside of you. Something honestly I didn't know what I was looking for. As you all probably all don't know I am in debt up to way above my eyeballs, from student loans, to bad judgement and being very stupid with credit cards when I was younger, to what I mentioned yesterday with my dad, so I wanted to get something out of this book, that it was all going to be okay and I can do it, I can start with a plan and I can accomplish and set forth my doings.

This book isn't only a guidebook on how you can start things, but it makes you think about yourself and truly how Badass you are already and how much more of a Badass you can be.

She breaks the book into 5 parts and then with in those 5 parts are chapters, for Example Part 1: How You Got This Way, then she talks about all the factors that may have lead you up to become who you are or the situation you may be in, such as single, losing weight, starting your own business, getting out of debt and being broke or leaving your job, or just wanting to be happy. Each Part spoke to me in one way or another.

One thing she brings up a lot is called the Source Energy, meaning the energy we put out into the world, reflects how we are and what we do, and basically how we survive. The energy we put in will give us the results we want. And right there that spoke VOLUMES to me on so many levels, with work and my personal life.

Reading that over and over, my energy suddenly changed and I am not saying the book did it, but something clicked. Ever since then I have put out good energy, high energy, being enthusastic and being engaged at work and really making a difference and because of the ENERGY I am putting into it, you know our sales and performance has changed tremendously. Crazy I know, but I can feel myself being better too.

Part 3: How To Tap Into The Motherlode and Part 4: How To Get Over Your B.S. Already were my favorite parts and if I had owned the copy I would have been highlighting like crazy, these parts also made it a solid job I was going to own this book. She spoke to meditation and how clearing your mind for at least 30 minutes a day does such wonders. But she speaks to it in such a manner that makes you laugh and not feel like you are being preached at.

She gave some great advice about how to stop being so distracted and that once you start something finish it, and earn a reward. For example, if you are wanting to write, give yourself and hour to finish a chapter, don't sit down and expect to do the whole book at once, break it up into little segmants, turn off your phone or put it away and then when you are done with your segemant then you can look at Facebook or Pinterest and take your earned break. The same for even house cleaning, don't say you have to clean the whole house at once, look at as room to room.

Which, I admit I do. I always say oh my god I have so much to get caught up on, so now I take it piece by piece and commit until I am done.

This book had A LOT of amazing motivational and inspiring quotes too...

If you are serious about changing your life, you'll find a way. If you're not, you'll find an excuse.

Because so often when we say we're unqualified for something, what we're are really saying is that we're too scared to try it, not that we can't do it.

The people you surround yourself with are excellent mirrors for who you are and how much, or how little, you love yourself.

We put so much energy into coming up with excuses why we can't be, or have the things we want, and designing the perfect distractions to keep us from our dreams- imagine how far we'd get if we just shut up and used all that energy to go for it instead???

Love that last one, that one spoke the loudest!!!!

This book really opened my eyes to myself and her one thing that she said over and over before the chapter ended was Love YourSelf and seriously that is where it all beings.

I highly recommend this book and while I was reading it I had to pass it along to some of my friends before this post too, people I know that would really get a lot out of it. I love when a book can do that to you and just transform you from the inside out.

I hope you enjoyed this little preview to the book, there is so much information in the book, I could go on for days. But if you are looking for just a little help or heck something different to read like I was, then you will no be disappointed and it might set you out on an amazing path, like it did with me.

Also if you are liking my taste in books, it quite elcetic if I do say, follow me on GoodReads: Angelina Allerton and you can also find Nanci

Happy Reading until next month!!!!

Comments

  1. I love to read too!! I haven't read this one. I do like non-fiction, though so I will add this one to my list 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Low Point Apple Crisp

Let's Go To The Movies....And EAT at Cobb Theaters Tyrone

Perspective: My Trauma, Fear and Rejection