Getting in my long runs

When training for a half marathon I try really, really hard to stick to a plan from Runners World magazine, but with my schedule for work and demands, it is sometimes impossible for me to accomplish. But just because I cant follow theirs doesn't mean I cant make my own. My plan is to do at least 2 gym days, where I do a long cardio session with some weights on one and then the other time, just a lite walk on the treadmill and the remainder lifting weights, focusing on full body. The other 3 days, I run.

One of the days is my long run, where right now I am up to 8 miles. The other two days are a 3-4 miler and at least a 4-5 miler. Now some weeks I can accomplish all of this and other weeks I can not, but I make sure that no matter what I dedicate my long run once a week. I will make the time for that one. Yesterday I put in my 8 miles. I haven't ran 8 miles since April when I did Iron Girl. I will do this 8 miles until the first week of September.

The first 2-3 weeks of September the long run will be 9. The last week of Sept-Oct week 2 will be 10. Then each week after will increase by one mile. Two weeks before I will do 13 and the week before I will do just light runs 3-4 miles and increase my strength. Life gets in the way sometimes, but it is all about how you handle it and manage it. I don't like making excuses, so I will find away to get the long ones in. Even if it means I have to do it on a day at work at 1, when I could sleep in, Ill be up at 5 to get it over with.

This week I put in 8 and it really did feel great. My IT issue didn't bother me at all. My legs were sore and stiff because I did an intense at home workout DVD, but other than that they were moving right where I liked them too. I started off strong with a 10:29 pace, which I was happy about, then around mile 3-5 I slowed down a bit, then at 6-8 I increased and pulled out a 11:01 mile. I am not out there to run fast, I am out there to just get the miles and get it done. Maybe down the road I will work on the pace, right now I am just improving me!! I had a Questbar before I ran, and used my fuel belt for water with NUUN. Well my fuel belt and I are not on very good speaking terms. The darn thing would not stay up, it kept bouncing and falling off, literally it flew off and another time I dropped one of my water bottles. Not sure what is going on, I didn't have this problem last week. I am running tomorrow and using it and hoping for change.

At mile 6 I took some Sports Beans, fruit punch flavors and pushed through. I didn't want to bring GU because it is so hot, the flavor and warmth do not sit well with my stomach. It was a gorgeous morning and even a little breeze. It was well worth getting up, getting it done and kicking my weekend off great!!

Before my run. I believe wearing pink and extra girly headbands make for an awesome long run!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low Point Apple Crisp

Perspective: My Trauma, Fear and Rejection

Let's Go To The Movies....And EAT at Cobb Theaters Tyrone