Movie Review: Saving Mr. Banks

I am not a film critic at all. I go to movies based off pure emotion and probably because of who is staring in the film. I love all kinds of films, comedies, romance, history, kind of like foreign, etc. Last night James and I were kind of on the outs, I needed to just get away for a bit so I decided to go see Saving Mr. Banks. I love the movie Mary Poppins and remembered how much as a kid it made me happy. I also love Tom Hanks and anything with him is bound to be fantastic.



We usually go to a Regal theater because I have a Regal Crown card which earns you points which turn into a free soda, popcorn or movie. I had a free movie one and Saving Mr. Banks was not a no pass movie so I was able to see it. The movie was playing pretty late, but I figured what the heck. A 2 hour movie would be the same if I was staying home late.



I brought in some snacks with me because I wanted to be good. I know it isn't the nicest thing to do but I have a big purse so it works for me. I popped some fat free popcorn before I left and divided it into two baggies and also brought some strawberries as my "candy". I packed some of those addicting Hickory Farms mints too. I always need something to munch on in a movie, I just have to make the best choices available to me. I still buy a small diet coke.

Going to the movies by myself does not bother me at all. I actually enjoy it. My Poppy used to go with me all the time and sometimes he would go by himself after I left the nest, still does. He taught me that. He goes out to dinner and breakfast and everything by himself at times. I do the same. I don't get scared or wonder what people will think. I still want to enjoy things that mean the most to me. James apparently hates going to the movies, he told me this yesterday. So I will be seeing lots of movies by myself and I am okay with that. I get to go on my time and my terms.

Saving Mr. Banks was way more than a movie about Mary Poppins. It was the behind the signs movie with much more of a meaning attached to it. It dealt with the author who created Mary Poppins and why it meant so much to her. Her attachment to the characters and why she made them the way they are. Mr. George Banks, the father in the movie of Mary Poppins, was based off her own father, which she had a deep love and affection towards.

They had a connection like no other. Her father dealt with alcoholism and death. It was one of those movies that I think I was truly meant to see. I don't want to go into detail about the whole movie because I don't want to ruin it for anyone. But this movie was meant for me to see, alone. I feel my dad pushed me a bit to see this movie. The meaning behind it was my whole life on the big screen. I couldn't believe it and if you know me, see the movie and you will understand.

I cried, I laughed and I smiled. Everything I wanted to get out of a movie and then some. I found a piece of myself in that movie, that I didn't think I would. I walked out of there with a deep emotion I didn't know was capable. See the movie for yourself, please do.

I really want to see Mary Poppins again and read the book.

And remember take time for yourself, go out to dinner, spa, or a movie, you might amaze yourself what you find or learn when your on your own...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low Point Apple Crisp

Perspective: My Trauma, Fear and Rejection

Let's Go To The Movies....And EAT at Cobb Theaters Tyrone