My 4 Year Lifestyle Change Anniversary...

Okay so if you haven't downloaded the app, TimeHop, do yourself a favor and download it. If you are a social media Queen, self proclaimed I may add, like me, then it really is quite amazing. Every day it sends notifications of posts, pictures, tweets, Instagrams I have done of the years, I mean sometimes it goes back to 6 or 7 years ago. I tell ya, Technology.

The best part was the one I got today...


This gave me chills...because to this day, I remember that meeting, that first weigh in, the feelings, the emotions, what I ate and how I felt afterwords. I remember, I didn't even tell James until after I weighed in and joined. He smiled and said okay. I remember getting on that scale and seeing that number of 234 and not realizing how I let it all kind of get out of control. Now I was not an excessive eater, I didn't hide food, I wasn't ashamed of food or fear it, I was just lost in it.

I didn't eat food to fulfill my emotions. Okay, maybe that was a lie. Growing up, food was everywhere and never healthy. My mom would buy we anything and everything I wanted at the grocery store, if I wanted the most sugar infused cereal, I would get it, the juice, candy, etc. My dad and grandparents did the same thing. Just to make me happy. And I loved them for that, but I never realized how it was damaging me and maybe they didn't either. Making some happy and love, truly blinds you. So growing up, I guess you can say I associated food with happiness, joy and I guess getting what I wanted.

That phased out and then portion control came in. I don't think I had an off switch, when it came to certain foods. Now I can say no at meals, or drinks, BUT snacks, yeah...that was my weakness. I could eat a whole bag of chips and salsa and not feel a bit sorry. I loved anything and everything sweet and salty. Portions were not a discussion and I never even knew what a serving size was on foods. You know those frozen meals you can make it skillet, they serve almost 4 people, I could do the whole bag.

But I wasn't sad, or depressed or angry. I was just lost. I was lost in sea of food, bad choices and portion control. I would try you know by ordering the Whole Wheat Pretzel...with the cheese dip. Or the Fast food...with the Diet Coke. Or the cookies, lots of them...with the Fat Free Milk. I would justify one with the other. Not seeing what was cleary wrong. I would order the salad...the one drenched in dressing, croutons, etc..BUT I had lettuce and tomato with it. I would order the Turkey burger....with cheese and a mound of fries.

I was lost....

Then I just had enough. I noticed, I just wasn't feeling like me, even though I didn't know what "me" felt like. I needed to find a way to find who I was, who I was meant to be. Like I posted, I loved everything, but I needed to LOVE ME! So I joined WW and it has been a crazy 4 years.

4 years I have been committed and dedicated and driven to change my life for the better, find myself and not be lost anymore. 4 years is a long time and I have never given up, some people don't stay with the same job or the same person for that long of a time...

I am not going to post a picture of my before and after because honestly I have showed so many of those over these years and I have a ways to go, so it is always evolving. But in these 4 years, I can honestly say, I found me.

I found out, I really do like veggies and not just veggies dripped in ranch or blue cheese, I love all kinds of veggies actually now and fruit. I love it fresh and cut up. I love to measure it out with hummus and other low calorie dips. I love Powdered Peanut Butter. I love water. Yup, that's a big one for me. I love chicken and pork and lean meat, turkey meat, and fish. Another big one, I eat fish now.

I love to cook and find better options. I enjoy food now even more then before because I understand it fuels me and makes me better, not just happy, but it adds to my life. I take my coffee with splenda and skim milk, it doesn't have a pool of sugar on the bottom anymore. I never go and get a pretzel and cheese dip, yeah not for me. I eat things like Kale, and Quiona and make Protein Shakes and LOVE IT.

I respect food now and I make good choices when I go out to dinner. I get dressing on the side and dip it with my fork. I get water at every meal. I look for the best, and healthiest  item and I ask nicely to the waiter or waitress to modify for me. I look at serving sizes and measure my food and sometimes drinks out to get it right. Yes, I measure my wine, at times :0)

I have changed my taste buds and am willing to try new things. But here is the thing too...

I have mistakes and I get the chocolate cake, or the pizza, or the chips and salsa. I treat myself and reward myself, BUT I DON'T DO IT ALL THE TIME.

I allow myself to let go, once and awhile, I have fun and I enjoy, but I know the second I do, the next meal or day, I am right back to where I was. I crave the apples, and tuna (without mayo, that was a big one) and the salad, etc. I want it in my body because now those foods, make me feel good.

I don't beat myself up or feel guilty. Sure, times I feel regret for that pizza, like this weekend, but I know I wont turn back. I don't want to be like that again. See, I didn't say that girl, I have always been the same girl, just enhanced a bit more, I don't want those choices, I don't want to feel the way I did. I love waking up and feeling better, looking in the mirror and seeing changes, changes that the scale cant give me.

In 4 years, I have taken up running, I think you heard I ran a marathon, you know 26.2 miles!! Hahaha..well I would NEVER have thought to do that before. Now 13 miles seems like a walk in the park. I don't think 20 ever will haha. But now it is part of my vocabulary. Coming home from work, I can't wait to get my running shoes, feel the pavement, have the release. Before I couldn't wait to have a snack and take a nap.

I mean, I still do now, but after a good work out or run!

While I won't be with Weight Watchers forever, I will carry what I have learned with them for the rest of my life. I will constantly remember how it changed my life and opened the doors for me. Yes, I did this all my own and I did it all for me, just like with running, but the guidance and support came from all of them. I am not sure what I want to do next, but I know I am never going back. My life is healthy, I am happy and I will continue to grow and loose the weight. I am determined and driven and seeing how far I have come in 4 years, I know I will get to my ultimate goal!! I was a girl who wore a size 22-6, close to 70 pounds lost remains off of me in 4 years, I fall back down and get back up, I stand tall, I run and I am stronger and better than ever before.

My life has completely changed in 4 years. I didn't know what to expect or how it was all going to play out. I never thought I would have a blog or meet the people I know. I never thought I would inspire others to do the same. I never thought I would love to be active and healthy. I never knew who I truly was. Underneath it all, here I was waiting....

I am no longer lost...But found.


Comments

  1. This post gave me goosebumps. Amazing. You are such an inspiration. And I am thankful for your journey and your being the social media queen because we met on Instagram and you are an amazing friend. You can do anything you set your mind to. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Low Point Apple Crisp

Let's Go To The Movies....And EAT at Cobb Theaters Tyrone

Perspective: My Trauma, Fear and Rejection