My LAST 20 Mile Training Run...4 Weeks to Go...Running with friends Saved Me

Can I just say that I can not believe today was a my last real long training run. I say real long because it was 20 and next week is 10, 10 is still long but 20, oh man that number has quite a hold on me.

Yesterday I worked all day and planned to go grocery shopping right after. Well I had no time after work and really wish I did because we have no fruit or veggies in the apartment, it is killing me but I was way to tired to fight it. My legs felt really heavy yesterday at work and my feet were sore. I know it was because I was on my feet all day long and didn't sit down at work, but god they hurt.

I already went into these miles this morning a little uneasy. I set my alarm for 4:00 and felt okay getting up. I for sure was tired and my legs were hurting me a bit, especially my calves, but I was excited to get downtown to see Nanci. She was meeting me to run 14 miles this morning. It makes such a huge difference when you have someone running along with you. We had a blast this morning. At one point we looked at our watches and it was 9 miles and you would not have realized.



We got a gorgeous sunrise and it really makes it all worth it. The early wake up, the pain and the miles, I wont have moments like this a lot, so I cherish them when I can. We had a breeze off the water this morning for a lot of the miles, felt great and made me excited for the cooler weather we can be seeing very soon. I long for those days when I can just sleep in a little bit more, like till 6, so I can beat the heat.

We had a strong 14 miles, my Garmin lost signal at mile 10.56, of course, I have no clue what is going on with that darn thing, but this is the second time it has done that when I planned 20 miles. This was Nanci's longest run to date. She did awesome. I didn't do my splits with her for the whole 14 miles, it was tough for me because I am used to my beeps, but she motivates and inspires me and I felt great running a full mile and then a bit of walk. It was a great accomplishment. I was so proud of her, she did awesome with her 14!!


After leaving Nanci, I headed back to finish and hit my 20. I meet up with my friend Jacke, who told me she was heading downtown to run 2 miles this morning, hoping to see her. At my second mile, I found her and was surprised she was still out running. She hadn't ran in 3 months and was doing great. I was hitting a bit mental block, not sure what was going on, I was just tired and hurting and wanted to be done. I asked Jacke to run a bit more with me, to keep me company. And she did!!

We did 1:1's. She was doing those to ease back into running and I could use the break a bit to regain some strength. I did that for about 2 miles with her and then I went ahead at mile 4 and finished my last 2 with 2:1's. I felt better from the slow down with Jacke a bit. I finished the last 2 very strong, even though my Garmin just died again, just shut right off. I need to figure that darn thing out because I want that when I run the marathon, I will charge that thing every hour.



Jacke finished a little bit after me and I was so proud of her. She went out for 2 and finished with 6. And stayed to help me out. So nice. I am blessed to have such amazing running friends and great friends in my life. These ladies made this last 20 mile training run, much sweeter because to be honest, I might have given up. My heart wasn't there with it this morning, my mind was playing last of mind games, but I got it done, I fought through it and I am glad it is over.



It is bittersweet because I wont run these training miles again until the marathon. Crazy to see, I have done this 3 times. A 20-23-20. Wow. Again this is the girl who couldn't even run a mile. Now I will have done this 3 times with no regrets or no giving up. I am so determined to finish this marathon and get it done and with a smile on my face.



Now tapering begins a bit. 4 weeks left to go. I am starting to get everything in check, my mind, body, running and diet. Getting everything strong and determined. I will go into this marathon giving it everything I have and have done everything I could. I gave it my all, no doubt. I have learned so much about myself with this training, more than I ever thought imaginable.

Now the rest of my day has been spent in the bed, the couch and watching Football with James. We ordered pizza, and yes I enjoyed two pieces and some garlic bites. I earned this little treat for the day for sure. And it tasted delicious!!

20 miles done and now ready to take on this week and I will be doing lots of stretching, foam rolling and rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low Point Apple Crisp

Let's Go To The Movies....And EAT at Cobb Theaters Tyrone

Perspective: My Trauma, Fear and Rejection