Sunday, September 14, 2014

My LAST 20 Mile Training Run...4 Weeks to Go...Running with friends Saved Me

Can I just say that I can not believe today was a my last real long training run. I say real long because it was 20 and next week is 10, 10 is still long but 20, oh man that number has quite a hold on me.

Yesterday I worked all day and planned to go grocery shopping right after. Well I had no time after work and really wish I did because we have no fruit or veggies in the apartment, it is killing me but I was way to tired to fight it. My legs felt really heavy yesterday at work and my feet were sore. I know it was because I was on my feet all day long and didn't sit down at work, but god they hurt.

I already went into these miles this morning a little uneasy. I set my alarm for 4:00 and felt okay getting up. I for sure was tired and my legs were hurting me a bit, especially my calves, but I was excited to get downtown to see Nanci. She was meeting me to run 14 miles this morning. It makes such a huge difference when you have someone running along with you. We had a blast this morning. At one point we looked at our watches and it was 9 miles and you would not have realized.

We got a gorgeous sunrise and it really makes it all worth it. The early wake up, the pain and the miles, I wont have moments like this a lot, so I cherish them when I can. We had a breeze off the water this morning for a lot of the miles, felt great and made me excited for the cooler weather we can be seeing very soon. I long for those days when I can just sleep in a little bit more, like till 6, so I can beat the heat.

We had a strong 14 miles, my Garmin lost signal at mile 10.56, of course, I have no clue what is going on with that darn thing, but this is the second time it has done that when I planned 20 miles. This was Nanci's longest run to date. She did awesome. I didn't do my splits with her for the whole 14 miles, it was tough for me because I am used to my beeps, but she motivates and inspires me and I felt great running a full mile and then a bit of walk. It was a great accomplishment. I was so proud of her, she did awesome with her 14!!

After leaving Nanci, I headed back to finish and hit my 20. I meet up with my friend Jacke, who told me she was heading downtown to run 2 miles this morning, hoping to see her. At my second mile, I found her and was surprised she was still out running. She hadn't ran in 3 months and was doing great. I was hitting a bit mental block, not sure what was going on, I was just tired and hurting and wanted to be done. I asked Jacke to run a bit more with me, to keep me company. And she did!!

We did 1:1's. She was doing those to ease back into running and I could use the break a bit to regain some strength. I did that for about 2 miles with her and then I went ahead at mile 4 and finished my last 2 with 2:1's. I felt better from the slow down with Jacke a bit. I finished the last 2 very strong, even though my Garmin just died again, just shut right off. I need to figure that darn thing out because I want that when I run the marathon, I will charge that thing every hour.

Jacke finished a little bit after me and I was so proud of her. She went out for 2 and finished with 6. And stayed to help me out. So nice. I am blessed to have such amazing running friends and great friends in my life. These ladies made this last 20 mile training run, much sweeter because to be honest, I might have given up. My heart wasn't there with it this morning, my mind was playing last of mind games, but I got it done, I fought through it and I am glad it is over.

It is bittersweet because I wont run these training miles again until the marathon. Crazy to see, I have done this 3 times. A 20-23-20. Wow. Again this is the girl who couldn't even run a mile. Now I will have done this 3 times with no regrets or no giving up. I am so determined to finish this marathon and get it done and with a smile on my face.

Now tapering begins a bit. 4 weeks left to go. I am starting to get everything in check, my mind, body, running and diet. Getting everything strong and determined. I will go into this marathon giving it everything I have and have done everything I could. I gave it my all, no doubt. I have learned so much about myself with this training, more than I ever thought imaginable.

Now the rest of my day has been spent in the bed, the couch and watching Football with James. We ordered pizza, and yes I enjoyed two pieces and some garlic bites. I earned this little treat for the day for sure. And it tasted delicious!!

20 miles done and now ready to take on this week and I will be doing lots of stretching, foam rolling and rest.